[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Towards a comment on evolving the multistakeholder model at ICANN

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat May 18 20:37:46 UTC 2019

Evan, as much as some people (and I count myself among them) feel that the overall ICANN model needs to be changed to address the types of issues you list in your bullet points below, that is not what this exercise is about.

As the name implies, this is evolution to increase the effectiveness of the current model and not a complete reorg. That may make it less than useful in the minds of some, but that is what it is.

It is not the only such exercise going on. There is one purely within the GNSO which addresses some of these same problems but has the potential for worsening some things (including participation of non-GNSO groups/entities which some view as impeding the PDP process).

Is this current process sufficient to address the larger problems? No (in my mind). But can it provide useful change without increasing the overall structural problems? I hope so.

Alan