[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] Fwd: ISOC sells PIR

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Nov 14 03:00:31 UTC 2019

I agree that they are not likely to operate as a non-profit, but I presume they could if they really wanted to.

Note also the reference to B Corporation status ( https://bcorporation.net/)

Alan

At 13/11/2019 09:32 PM, Justine Chew wrote:
It is an outright sale of an asset, the proceeds of which go toward "an endowment fund" for ISOC projects/activities. No revenue sharing is involved.

The announcement indicated that all projects and operations will continue as is under new ownership. With its policy on public/community benefit presumably driven and overseen by Ethos Capital's Stewardship Council - I wonder who they will put on this Council.

PIR under Ethos Capital will lose its non-for-profit status, so there might be financial implication not to ISOC but possibly PIR's existing .org customers/registrants.

We shall see.

Justine
-----