[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] Fwd: ISOC sells PIR

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Nov 14 11:24:54 UTC 2019

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 23:37, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I must admit I do not know what this means for the long term financial
> stability of ISOC, if ISOC has sold its only source of income.

Hi Olivier,

It's most likely an attempt to have stability... knowing well ahead of time
how much money is available for the budget rather than being dependent on
the trials of the domain-selling marketplace.

It also frees ISOC from a significant conflict of interest should it want
to get involved more deeply in DNS policy.

It may also be a guess/gamble by ISOC that .org has peaked (under the
restrictions it had) and this is the time to extract maximum value.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56