[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] Fwd: ISOC sells PIR

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:59:08 UTC 2019

My analysis indicates that PIR was sold for about $2 billion.

If you take that money and invest it at a reasonable 3% it will yield
around 60M a year which is a very healthy, stable and secure yearly
operational budget for an organization like ISOC. As a result, I also
predict a significant increase in staff numbers.

-ed

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 6:05 AM Justine Chew <justine.chew at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello back Seun,
>
> I would say it depends on the X sum that was agreed upon. I would be
> aghast if the ISOC Board didn't consider a significantly handsome earnings
> factor in negotiating the X sum. But for PIR's longstanding purpose-driven
> mission, this would have been a clean exit plan for ISOC.
>
> But sure, we should all follow the execution of this transaction and
> beyond, and certainly, ISOC chapters and all interested parties should
> scrutinize details of the deal for themselves.
>
> Justine
> -----
>

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 17:47, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Justine,
>>
>> Yes you are right i misunderstood something in your mail, but it wasn't
>> the role, it was the word "proceeds" I had thought you meant the proceeds
>> made by the new org. I guess we are both in sync then. Nevertheless it
>> still opens the question of the fact that the major funding source of
>> ISOC(which includes ISOC chapters)/IETF is now gone. It may look like they
>> have x amount they've received form the sale afterall.....well that to me
>> is a static cash which can either diminish rapidly or increase a little (if
>> invested properly), which i don't think is better than a continuous steady
>> source of funds that ISOC enjoy from earlier ISOC/PIR relationship. I still
>> wonder, what the ref was thinking by making this move!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 4:34 AM Justine Chew <justine.chew at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Seun,
>>>
>>> You are mixing up the roles of the parties. The new owner ie Ethos
>>> Capital has no role to play in and does not fund the endowment for ISOC
>>> projects/activities. Ethos Capital is buying PIR (the operating entity
>>> which is an asset of ISOC) from ISOC - i.e. an outright sale and purchase
>>> of an asset - for X sum. It is ISOC which will arrange to fund the
>>> endowment vide the X sum (or more accurately, the returns on the investment
>>> of X sum) it receives from Ethos Capital.
>>>
>>> After the transaction is completed, Ethos Capital will own and operate
>>> PIR outright. So no revenue sharing is involved.
>>>
>>> The announcement indicated that Ethos Capital intends for "*PIR to
>>> continue to meet the highest standards of public transparency,
>>> accountability, and social performance in line with its longstanding
>>> purpose-driven mission*" and to maintain "*all of **PIR’s domain
>>> operations and educational initiatives*" as is - these are PIR's domain
>>> operations and educational initiatives not ISOC projects/activities.
>>>
>>> Justine
>>> -----

*NOTICE:* This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named
addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email by
mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.