[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] We Object!

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 16 09:10:08 UTC 2019

Hi all
I am not sure whether ICANN has the power to stop the deal, because what is sold is not the .org contract but the whole PIR company. This said, it is by and large irrelevant because I believe that ICANN would not stand up to block the transfer even if it could.
I agree with most of what the article says, first and foremost that one thing was lifting the price cap for a non-profit that claims to be operating in the public interest, and another thing is allowing an investment fund to have free hand in deciding the prices in a situation where 10M customers are locked in. This said, I remain convinced that a serious rise in the price will cause a substantial drop in the renewal rates - although a small raise would not affect substantially the DUM base. But a small raise was already allowed, under some circumstances, by the previous contract.
Cheers,
Roberto