[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] We Object!

Nat Cohen ncohen at telepathy.com
Sat Nov 16 15:55:01 UTC 2019

Roberto,

I agree with you that for strategic reasons Ethos may not decide to
maximize its profits through bluntly increasing prices.  For instance,
Ethos would make a huge windfall if it raised .org renewal prices to $1,000
per year, even if that meant that 90% of the registrants wound up
abandoning .org, for it would still bring in $1 billion from the one
million .org registrants who could not afford to abandon their .org domain
name even at a cost of $1,000 per year.

Yet even though ICANN's removal of price caps on .org would put the
nonprofit community in jeopardy of facing huge price increases, and even
though Ethos would earn huge returns from doing so, we can safely predict
that Ethos would do no such thing.  Unfortunately confidence in the
community's ability to safely predict the future is low right now, as most
of us thought we were safe in predicting that .org would stay with ISOC for
many years to come.

There is no plausible scenario in which Ethos would lose money by raising
prices.  The question is merely by how much and how quickly prices will
rise.

What is the rationale for abandoning price caps?  For most agreements
between owners and service providers, the price at which the service will
be delivered is a key component.  The U.S. Government originally offered
domain names for free.  Prices were later added merely to cover the cost of
handing out registrations.  Now thanks to the new gTLD program, where brand
new registries were awarded to entrepreneurial companies, the ICANN
community has been successfully deceived into treating the legacy domain
name extensions - created to benefit the public at large and then entrusted
to ICANN - as the equivalent to new gTLDs that are owned by their registry
operators.  For thirty years .org, created as the online home for the
nonprofit community, operated under predictable, stable pricing.  With the
removal of price caps and the sale of the .org registry to a private equity
firm, nonprofits face a destabilizing price environment and may be forced
to flee their longstanding online presence on .org.  ICANN's core mission
is to maintain the stability of the Internet, yet its actions with respect
to the .Org registry are destabilizing the Internet, in particular for the
nonprofit community.

The value of the .org name space is many billions of dollars, created not
by PIR, or ISOC or Ethos, but due to the years of use of .org domain names
by the nonprofit sector that has created substantial goodwill in their .org
domain names.  How ICANN thinks it is good policy to allow Ethos to plunder
at will the value of the goodwill developed over decades by the nonprofit
community is something I do not understand.

Regards,

Nat