[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] EFF : Nonprofit Community Stands Together to Protect .ORG

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 19:55:38 UTC 2019

I am somewhat comforted by the observation that the Free Software
Foundation and Electronic Frontier Foundation have signed on to the site,
neither of which is associated with being corporate proxies.

I share your concern about ICA. However, at various points in history we've
partnered with many different parts of the ICANN ecosystem and this time we
happen to be on the same side as an organization we often consider as an
adversary. Strange bedfellows indeed but why not?

I maintain my position that PIR should be given more leeway to set prices.
That's not the issue to me. The change of PIR from nonprofit to for-profit
has far deeper implications for trust that price increases will be
reasonable and serving an interest beyond maximizing revenue. I had trust
that a nonprofit PIR would treat the removal of price caps with prudence. I
have no such confidence in a profit-maximizing PIR.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto
@evanleibovitch/@el56