[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] EFF : Nonprofit Community Stands Together to Protect .ORG

John Laprise jlaprise at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 22:42:54 UTC 2019

Hi Nat,

Just to clarify, At Large isn't a representative organization. Rather, it
collectively strives to be a good steward on behalf of the interests of end
users. More than anything else, we listen. On .org, my sense is that the
organization managing .org should at it's heart have non profit
sensibilities. We thought that was true of ISOC and we were disappointed.
Management by a fund is about as antithetical as you can get.

The bigger picture for me is that in many places, being a nonprofit or
being affiliated with one is a personal security risk. Authoritarian
governments do not like non-profits. If .org is managed by an org driven by
$, then all it takes it coercion or money to get them to betray .org. A
non-profit with a mission is much more difficult to coerce. The next
billion users live in such places. I would not see them put at risk.

Sent from my Pixel 3XL

John Laprise, Ph.D.