[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Brainstorming

Roberto Gaetano mail.roberto.gaetano at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 22:18:21 UTC 2019

I am a bit worried about proposals like denying renewal to registrations that do not pass the litmus test of virginity. Even before PIR took over .org there was no strict requirement about being no-profit. Of course, this could be enforced now for new registrations, but to deny renewal would be most unfair.
One of the points we raise constantly in connection with the price raise is that registrants are locked in, and will have huge switching costs. The same will apply for a commercial registrant who has registered a domain name with .org maybe because the name he/she wanted was already taken in .com, or maybe for a much simpler reason, that she/he trusted PIR more than Verisign considering the record of good practices. If PIR denies renewal to a person like this, it will instantly lose the reputation earned with years of good behaviour. We might have a “pure” non-commercial domain space, but one that few would trust enough to be willing to be part of it.
Cheers,
Roberto