[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] ALS ISOC netherlands 'calls on ISOC Global to reverse the sale of the .ORG domain to private equity firm Ethos Capital'

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Nov 26 16:37:23 UTC 2019

Hi Maureen.

You make a very important point.

IMO, ISOC has fully lost track of the breadth and depth of its stakeholders.

Consider the BBC article at https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50515786

Just how bad do you need to be to have the Girl Scouts of America speaking
out against you?

In ignoring its direct and indirect community, ISOC has picked a needless
fight with all the world's charities, NGOs and social benefit
organizations. It cannot win this fight. Its only counter argument, that
the sale will provide ISOC with more and more-stable funding, will be
widely seen as putting private greed over public good.

I'm not sure this chapter is closed. I have no insider knowledge, but I
think the size and ferocity of the backlash has taken ISOC management by
surprise.

- Evan

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 at 00:23, Maureen Hilyard <maureen.hilyard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree that the few hundred ISOC Chapters are important to this issue.
> Although support for THEIR activities will probably be assured for some way
> into the future, what about the 10 million or so other non-ISOC .org
> registrants who won't benefit from what ISOC gained from this sale. They
> will be left to the whim of those who now own PIR.
>
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 4:33 AM Marita Moll <mmoll at ca.inter.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for this Bastiaan. I am passing it around here in Canada. I hope
>> other chapters follow the lead of the Netherlands chapter. I still don't
>> know how much ICANN can really do about this development -- but ISOC
>> chapters should absolutely stand up and be counted on this issue.
>>
>> Marita
>> On 11/26/2019 4:34 AM, Bastiaan Goslings wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> Fyi see at the bottom https://isoc.nl/nieuws/brief-aan-de-leden/
>>
>> This was sent to the ISOC Chapter delegates list, if I’m not mistaken - I’m not subscribed. I talked to the ISOC NL director but do not know yet how many chapters actually endorsed the statement or plan to do so. I was not involved btw, it was a board initiative.
>>
>> regards
>> Bastiaan

>> By submitting your personal data, you consent to the processing of your personal data for purposes of subscribing to this mailing list accordance with the ICANN Privacy Policy (https://www.icann.org/privacy/policy) and the website Terms of Service (https://www.icann.org/privacy/tos). You can visit the Mailman link above to change your membership status or configuration, including unsubscribing, setting digest-style delivery or disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.

> disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so
> GTLD-WG mailing list
> GTLD-WG at atlarge-lists.icann.org
>
> Working Group direct URL:
> https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/New+GTLDs