[CPWG] CircleId post

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 28 16:23:37 UTC 2019

This article has been posted to CircleId yesterday by Richard Barnes, an ISOC Trustee:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20191127_why_i_voted_to_sell_org/
Please find below the reply that I have posted today, that is currently awaiting moderation.
Cheers,
Roberto

Dear Richard,

I am a .org registrant. I was proud of the fact that part of the money I was spending went to ISOC for the very projects you have described.
This is now gone.

My .org domain name is not just a domain name, is the digital identity that makes me part of the .org community. The fact that there are also commercial members in this community is irrelevant because the image that we project is that of not for profit, and to have the house hosting us being itself not for profit was a reassuring affirmation of this identity.
This is now gone.

When I applied for the PIR Board I was proud to become part of a wider community of which ISOC was the steward, that was working together with the registry, registrants and users for the benefit of the internet worldwide.
This is now gone.

Since I have started becoming involved in the Internet I had a strong belief that it was possible to act after discussion with the stakeholders and that the community could be involved before making strategic decisions.
This is now gone.

When the I* community started operating I believed that ISOC could be the core organization that was leading by example, putting ideals before and above money.
This is now gone.

You know that, in particular in the last couple of years, there have been disagreements between our two Boards - or at least parts thereof - but they have been solved with the spirit of collaboration that two travellers who share the same journey always have. Not even in my worst nightmares I would have thought that we were getting to the point that we would have taken different paths.

Be happy and prosper with the financial stability you have achieved, but be aware that you have paid a price - an immaterial one, but a very important one.

Roberto