[CPWG] ACTION/CPWG - Invitation to Provide Feedback on the ICANN Board’s Proposed Public Interest Framework

Ricardo Holmquist rihogris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 10:31:38 UTC 2019

Hi,
not sure I will make it to the next CPWG. But just my two cents. The Scope
is for a Global Public Interest, and in my mind it sounds like the Public
Interest that must be accepted Globally. But from my point of view, the
problem of the Public Interest is that it needs to be narrowed to ICANN
remit public interest, even based on where it is established (California,
US), and its particular laws. If we think of a Public Interest, each
country, even each culture, has a different meaning for it. In some
countries it is even counter productive to have a public interest
definition, that allows a governments to appropriate of some sector,
because they are of Public Interest.

It is the kind of scope definition we are asking as volunteers, not to
loose years in the discussion. (By the way, as it actually is with the
Public Interest Working Group).

Best

Ricardo