[CPWG] New report related to RDS/WHOIS

Bastiaan Goslings b.goslings at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:12:37 UTC 2020

> On 1 Apr 2020, at 11:40, Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa at topnet.tn> wrote:
>
> Not pretty at all.

Indeed, a grim description of affairs - at least in the article, which is what I read.

According to the article ‘the study found widespread problems’, 'most notably’ ones that indicate it's not a matter of (a lack of or the wrong) policies but of non-compliance with those policies by registrars.

I am not sure then how to read the last part:

'For the past 15 years ICANN has tried, and failed, to deliver domain name data policies that balance legitimate needs, applicable legal obligations, and ICANN's Commitments and Core Values. The findings of this study clearly illustrate the extent to which the current regime is broken. ICANN and its community stand at a crossroads: can they develop and implement policies that meet the vital needs of the Internet?’

That sentence says the attempt to deliver policies that balance interests etc has failed, as far as the author is concerned. So it's a policy problem after all?

It depends of course on how ‘delivery’ of policies is defined here: if that includes compliance with and enforcement of those policies (‘implementation’?), and we establish that’s not happening, then I understand the ‘current regime is broken’ conclusion...

-Bastiaan