[CPWG] Fwd: [NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN Receives Letter from California Attorney General Regarding .ORG Change of Control

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Mon Feb 3 13:33:41 UTC 2020

Thanks David. It was great to meet you at ATLAS and I’m glad you’ve found an issue about which you feel so passionate. Personally, my passion for AT-Large IS the process so I welcome these suggestions.

It is certainly the case that most of the consensus “temperature taking” is done on the CPWG call, not on this list. As I mentioned to you, I will explore how better to incorporate the list or, at the very least, report out to the list. That’s not a bad idea. The problem with the list, however, is that it is open to all, regardless of your membership in At-Large, so it’s very easy for folks to become interested in a particular discussion and simply sign up and start making points. I’d rather NOT restrict the list but this certainly complicates using the list as a measure of consensus. It’s pretty easy to “stuff the ballot box,” so to speak.

I have NOT performed a formal evaluation of the email threads here, as I said, and simply gave you my impression that the calls to “block the sale” were coming from a relatively small group of people. I can take a shot at GREP’ing the list to actually see where things stand.

Roberto Gaetano has taken the thought leadership role on this list primarily with a lot of people supporting his positions as they have evolved over time, beginning with some emotional responses at the start to constructive recommendations towards the end.  Our ultimate positions grew out of his recommendations and several lengthy conversations across multiple CPWG calls. His position as a former board chair at PIR, along with this long standing participation in At-Large, certainly carried a lot of weight with folks.

On the other hand, shrill voices suggesting that At-Large is captured, has a legitimacy problem, is a dictatorship, by those with a clear agenda in the outcome, are tougher for folks in At-Large to consider.  Op-eds by interested parties suggesting that any inclination that non-profits are not individual end users is tantamount to disregarding  “the views of the Jewish community… [on .NAZI]…purely because they were Jewish,” are designed to put folks on the defensive, to shut them up, not have constructive discussion.

Finally, the draft position (largely a couple of emails from Roberto) was published some time ago, and announced on this list for comment by anyone. I guess that’s the closest connection we have between the list and the consensus building process.

Happy to work to improve the interactions between the listserv and the calls and eventually the ALAC. I’m also interested in getting ALSs spun up more to participate in these discussions and doing more polling. I look forward to your comments on the work of Alan’s WG efforts to get ALSs more engaged. At-Large consensus building is certainly a work in progress and your ongoing participation is appreciated.
Jonathan