[CPWG] [ECAdmin] Correspondence

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Wed Feb 5 21:57:25 UTC 2020

Folks

This is not about the US and ICANN.  It is about legal systems in which an entity exists.  If ICANN headquarters were in Sydney, (and depending on the matter), any NSW Court (or Federal Court) could compel compliance by ICANN on corporate issues - as would be the case if ICANN were in Brussels, kuala Lumpur or Brazil.  While ever ICANN has a legal status of any kind, it is subject to the jurisdiction of that nation.  Yes, having located in the US was an issue at the time.  But national and EU law would have applied had ICANN been based in Europe, etc, etc. .  And given the size, assets, etc it would be incredibly foolhardy for ICANN NOT to be incorporated somewhere, so there would be protection (as well as obligation) for the corporation.

Holly