[CPWG] Meeting Details - Today: The Future of .ORG: Community Engagement' Webinar

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Feb 28 18:12:28 UTC 2020

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 04:35, Wolfgang Kleinwächter <
wolfgang at kleinwaechter.info> wrote:

> One of the arguments for new gTLDs - ten years ago - was that it will
> trigger a new wave of innnovation. With new options, creativity will be
> stimulated and new services and applications will emerge.

Some of us knew that this was BS all along, but too many people bought into
the promises of unicorns and wish-fulfillment peddled by the domain
industry. "Innovation" is such a wonderful buzzword that it blinds people
to the fact that the DNS is infrastructure. It's a natural commodity, like
the electrical grid or highway signage. The domain industry promised that
if we let them control the plumbing that they would invent better toilets.
What amazes me to this day is how many intelligent and well-meaning people
fell for it.

But what happened? One of the personal frustrtations I have - looking
> backwards - is that the new gTLD program with all its new (and great)
> diversity has delivered so far mainly just "more of the same" with the high
> risk of the emergence of new "oligopols".

That you could not see this from the outset is on you. Way back at ATLAS 1
in Mexico (2009), aspiring domain applicants described to us in detail how
they would be able to game the system, and exploit rules that assumed fair
play and shared interest. Some of us listened, the decision-makers did not
because the exploiters were well funded and could dominate every
conversation. I grant that some of the gaming methods were highly
innovative, but not in any way that benefited anyone outside the domain
industry.

Where are the creative disruptions which open the door for new services,
> applications, markets in the DNS? On the one hand, the issue of "personal
> idendity" is obviously a problem for the next generation of Internet users,
> that is the teenagers of tomorrow. But the teenagers and twens of today do
> not link the "issue of idendity" to the option of an own personal
> domainname. For them - even if they have a growing mistrust into the
> established social networks - to have a facebook, Instagram or TikTok
> account is much more convenient and they do not understand the
> opportunities of a personal domainname.  Creators and innovators of all
> countries in the DNS, hear the wake up call!!!

Your analysis is deeply flawed. Society today is fully aware of the need
for identity on the Internet, from the biggest company with an Instagram
presence to the 12-year-old with her own monatised YouTube channel. They
have evaluated the opportunities and come to the correct conclusion that
"memorable" domain names are an inferior way to establish that identity.
And innovators have certainly stepped up to create and support better paths.

We are not in the world of Lycos and Altavista anymore, now browsers merge
AI-assisted web search and type-a-URL into a single bar. Social media home
pages are free and domain names are legacy tech.

You want to find "Joe's Pizza" in your neighbourhood? What's easier? Trying
to remember the particular URL of the one near you, or just typing (or
saying) "*Joe's Pizza near me*" into the browser?

Want to find a generic business by name? What's easier? Just doing a
search? Or trying to guess what domain name the business uses because the
most natural one they wanted is squatted by a domainer?

(And we're not even beginning to talk about the impact of mobile apps or QR
codes in countries with non-Latin scripts.)

ICANN has shamefully targeted every person in the world as just a
registrant who hasn't been sold yet. This philosophy, advanced by those who
would profit from such a mindset, exists throughout ICANN, no other
worldview has even been given a proper hearing. As a result, ICANN and the
DNS have been oblivious to the world catching on to the scheme/scam and
moving on without it. Memorable domain names still have value, but then so
does MS-Windows, another legacy tech with is endured and tolerated but
never loved.

*YOU* are the one who needs the wake up call. There was NEVER any value in
personal domain names beyond vanity and defensive registration.

Sorry to lay this on so thick. But I am staggered to see in 2020 that
anyone is surprised by the public rejection of domain names as a way to
find what it wants on the Internet, and even more staggered to see a view
that faults the public for doing so.

This view is all-too-common in ICANN, and based on fantasy that never ever
existed. There is incredible innovation out there, but it is happening
outside the world of the DNS. The better toilets will never come.

- Evan