[CPWG] The crux of the COM issue

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Sun Jan 5 22:39:32 UTC 2020

On 05/01/2020 22:08, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 16:59, John McCormac <jmcc at hosterstats.com
> <mailto:jmcc at hosterstats.com>> wrote:
>
>     But it gets back to one simple question. Who decides what people can
>     or cannot register?
>

> I'd be happy with something based on the regime already in widespread
> global use for trademarks: first-come, first-served, accompanied by an
> aggressive use-it-or-lose-it policy. To this I'd add restrictions on
> usurious resale markup.

And that gets into the argument over which "trademark" from which
country has priority. :) Getting a bad flashback to the .EU fiasco and
those iffy Benelux deposit "trademarks.

Rather than a resale markup, a business plan and probationary period
during which some real usage of the domain name for a service or website
might be a better way to do things. I think that .BERLIN actually has
this as part of its regulations and it is one of the stronger new gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com