[CPWG] Verisign

Bill Jouris b_jouris at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 13:53:40 UTC 2020

 Hi Roberto,
You wrote:
What prompted me to react to this thread was the temptation to see the introduction of IDNs as evil because its could encourage criminal activities. My personal opinion is that, if we take a global view, the benefits of IDNs for users whose native languages do not use latin script overcome by far the potential problems it raises. Secondly, that a solution to the problem of fake web sites pretending to be something else should be found acting on the browsers and not on the DNS.

I completely agree that the benefits of IDNs far outweigh their downsides.  But I also think that some fairly straightforward ways to reduce some of the downsides, while preserving the benefits, have been overlooked.
More could probably be done with browsers.  But I'm not sure I see how ICANN can drive that.  (Especially in light of how far, a decade later, most browsers are from even implementing IDNA 2008 to replace IDNA 2003.)  I do see how we can do something about what characteristics of domain names the DNS accepts.  And the contracts with the registries are where, from what I know, we can act.
I think you are right that, since we have wandered rather far from the original topic, we should probably take this offline now.
Bill