[CPWG] A white knight on the horizon for .ORG?

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 8 14:54:31 UTC 2020

I don't see how a proposal to ICANN can imply $ to ISOC. The only way I can interpret this is as Evan has: an outright cancellation of the agreement by ICANN and re-delegate to the new corp.

An interesting concept, but if nothing else, the resultant lawsuits would likely to be a bonanza for lawyers...

Alan

At 08/01/2020 09:25 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>From what I can gather from what's been written so far, they're going to demand ICANN to simply re-delegate the registry to them and leave ISOC with nothing (though the actual proposal to ICANN may be different and indeed include compensation of some sort). Looks like they want to make the case that .ORG is a resource that needs a custodian rather than commodity that can be tossed around at will. It's comprised of an interesting group that includes ICANN's first president and the USG person in charge of handing TLD control to it.

- Evan