[CPWG] A white knight on the horizon for .ORG?

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Thu Jan 9 00:18:41 UTC 2020

My understanding is that the cooperative intends to continue funding IETF,
which is one of ISOC's primary missions.

*Weird. That underscores the concern that this is as much about burying
ISOC as it is about rescuing .ORG.  I'd be very interested to see what they
propose. Right now, that would mean funding ISOC, since IETF is an
unincorporated activity of ISOC. Do they propose to both starve ISOC and
dismantle it?*

As for ISOC's other missions, what has ISOC/PIR accomplished with the $900
million in excess payments that they have extracted from .org registrants
over the years, aside from paying themselves excessive compensation?

*I think trashing ISOC is essentially off-topic, a massive distraction and
an unnecessary time-suck.  W**hile I'm curious about your factual basis for
the $900 million number or for saying anyone is "paying themselves
excessive compensation"  or for using colorful words and phrases like
"excess payments," "excessive" and  "extracted," I don't want to muddy the
waters here. I'm not an ISOC fanboy, but the merits of ISOC (or the like
thereof) is a different discussion for a different time (or at least, a
different thread)..*

If ISOC had delivered $900 million in value to the community, then it would
likely have more support from Dyson et. al, and from the .org community.

*Please see above. *
*ISOC was never set up to deliver value to .org registrants as such. As for
the larger .org community (beneficiaries and members and employees of
non-profits), we would have to look at what ISOC has done to evaluate the
truth of your statements.  Because ISOC directs significant efforts to
underserved communities who may not be participating here, the shard of the
.org community that has been set on fire here may not be aware of what
ISOC's done.  As for Esther Dyson, I have no clue how 20+ years of history
have brought her to this point. *

In what way is the .org community's resistance to the sale to Ethos Capital
"Ill-informed" and contrary to their own interests?

*At this point, everybody is still fairly ill-informed,  However, some
people and entities (which cannot be called "the .org community") have
chosen to jump to conclusions.  Ethos Capital could very well be a better
steward and manager of PIR and .ORG than ISOC has been -- they could invest
capital, add services, increase reliability, innovate, etc.  If this is the
case the change in ownership could be significantly beneficial to the .org
community (including, but not limited to NPO/NGO .org registrants.)*

*Another way in which this portion of the .org community is ill-informed is
that a lot of what they have read is ill-informed, overheated, highly
slanted rhetoric -- long on innuendo and insinuation and short on facts
(but long on opinion and outright fantasy masquerading as facts -- I think
the kids these days call that "fake news").  The jumping to conclusions and
worst-case-scenario mongering is truly impressive, in a bizarre way.*

As in your Cooper Union example, ISOC has been overly reliant on
overcharging .org registrants for their funding, rather than needing to
attract funding voluntarily from donors through demonstrating that they are
doing good work with contributed funds.  Perhaps removing them from a
stream of money they receive that is entirely disconnected from any good
that they do with the money will be good for ISOC, and impose some
operational and mission discipline on them.

*I never thought I would quote Ronald Reagan, but "There you go again."  No
one is overcharging or being overcharged, nor would I agree that the
stream, etc. is "entirely disconnected' from the good, etc., or that ISOC
lacks all "operational and mission discipline."  (That last point could be
the subject of a nuanced debate, but should not be the subject of a
casually tossed grenade.) Other than that, see the first response above.*

As for the end-user interest here.  End-users have an interest in finding
nonprofits where they expect to find them - on their long-standing .org
domain names.  End-users wish to avoid confusion and uncertainty trying to
find the nonprofits they wish to support, or whose services they wish to
benefit from, at a new address.  They also wish to avoid being ripped off
by any new registrant who mispurposes a previously registered .org domain
name.

*There's no reason to assume that any of this would change if Ethos Capital
owns PIR.  All of this assumes that Ethos Capital would spectacularly
mismanage PIR and .org to the point where numerous significant non-profits
jumped ship (and by extension even more numerous smaller non-profits), the
billion-dollar asset is essentially destroyed, and the TLD becomes a
lawless no-man's-land rife with cybersquatters, spammers, scammers, malware
purveyors, phishers and other miscreants of the DNS.  I'm getting scared
just writing about it, but I remind myself that it's only a story.... *

They also wish to avoid downtime in .org, if Ethos Capital scrimps on
infrastructure investment to boost profits as PCH suggests would need to
happen for Ethos to earn a reasonable return on their investment.  All
these are risks that would occur if PIR moves to Ethos Capital, and Ethos
Capital creates an environment that is unattractive to .org registrants -
whether through pricing, policies, use of data or loss of stability.

*This is more of the same.  PCH may be good at what they do, but their
"analysis" seemed to be a poorly-reasoned, illogical hatchet job that
relied on some very questionable assumptions.  Again, why would Ethos
Capital sabotage a billion dollar asset?  If you want to lose a billion
dollars, there are easier ways to do it -- try betting on New York sports
teams or the ponies, or investing in Broadway musicals.  What Ethos Capital
can't afford to do is torch their biggest asset  -- the investors will say
goodbye and the principals will be destroyed.  It's far more rational to
assume that they will invest in and improve the assets to create an
environment that is more attractive to .org registrants.  Airlines need
passengers, restaurants need diners, sports teams need fans and audiences.
For a TLD, the equivalent is registrants and traffic.*

*That said, I am frustrated at not being better informed (though not so
frustrated as to buy into the apocalyptic narratives).  I would like to
know much more about how Ethos Capital intends to run the business, what
their overall PE strategy is, what their goals and exit strategies are,
what their plans are for future purchases and investments and how those
will relate to PIR. I am not enthusiastic about the sale or about the
process so far. But I'm less enthusiastic about the arguments to oppose the
sale that I've seen so far.  **Call me an open-minded skeptic at this
point. *

*It's entirely possible that the facts, once gathered, could convince me
and many others to oppose the sale -- even without the "parade of
horribles" above.  There are more plausible (though less electrifying) ways
that this could go appear likely to go wrong: Ethos could load PIR up with
debt or demoralize the workforce; it could spend money on improvements that
don't pan out; it could juice up PIR for a quick sale and return on value
while PIR becomes a nomadic PE asset; domain names could finally turn out
to be a fad, etc.  But I need a lot more substance and a lot less smoke to
reach a conclusion that truly bad things are likely to happen.*

*Best regards,*

*Greg*