[CPWG] Fwd: Re: Reuters reports new cooperative formed to take over management of .ORG

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Mon Jan 13 06:19:02 UTC 2020

Based on my experience, this is how all private equity deals are financed.
Since this is business as usual, I would not read much into it re:
uncertainty. It has nothing to do with “shortfalls,” as Kevin Murphy
surmised. In the go-go years, it was not uncommon to see up to 80%
financing, but banks are much more conservative now.

The thing that concerns me is that they are going to saddle PIR with the
$360 million of debt.  This is also not uncommon in PE deals, but this
concept of “pushing down the debt” is one of the more toxic aspects of PE
deals. I assume PIR is debt-free now. Going from debt-free to owing more
than 1/3 of a billion dollars is not a step in the right direction for any
company.  For a company that is allegedly going to embrace a public benefit
approach, it is teeth-grindingly dissonant.

The more this sounds like a “typical” PE deal, the more suspicious I get
that there will be anything  special about this PE firm or Post-Acquisition
PIR. Instead it sounds like business as usual.  That is not what is called
for here.

Greg

Greg Shatan
greg at isoc-ny.org