[CPWG] A white knight on the horizon for .ORG?

David Mackey mackey361 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 18:20:41 UTC 2020

Evan,

Thank you for your thoughts.

"Its history of extreme risk-aversion make it easy for ICANN's board to
take advice from its legal counsel that may silently override any emotional
or ethical arguments."
It makes a lot of sense to be cognizant of the rules established in the
ICANN bylaws and prudently stay within the boundaries as they are currently
written. Venturing too far beyond ICANN's remit may result in unwanted
and unproductive chaos. However, the risk in the long run of being too narrow
and not thinking beyond the letter of the law is that policy debates may be
whittled down to discussions about how many angels can fit on a the head of
a pin. This is not desirable either.

But that does not mean we have nothing to say, it's just how we say it."
Understood. Side Question: I reviewed the ICANN bylaws and found section
12.2.d.i which could be considered relevant to how our advice is given ... "The
role of the ALAC shall be to consider and provide advice on the activities
of ICANN, insofar as they relate to the interests of individual Internet
users." Are there any other written pieces of documentation that provides
guidelines on what is or is not acceptable advice?

"... an issue of stability, trust and security..."
In general, I agree with your choice of words and how you said them.
Specifically, I can see how the issue of trust comes into play with this
transaction. I'm mostly averse to picking any single hill to die on, but it
seems to me that issue is outside the norm of most policy discussions and
has long term consequences too.

Another side note: I heard a question in the general question session at
ICANN66 from a former staff member who questioned the rules of staff not
being allowed to interact with ICANN participants in social gatherings.
Without getting into the larger ethical debate the answer given was to
gently restate the existing policy of non-interaction. It seems to me that
there's a relevant question for interaction between former staff and former
ICANN leadership in the makeup of the Ethos organization. ICANN is a
relatively young organization, so it's not surprising that it doesn't yet
have a complete set of rules to guide staff/leadership interaction.
However, maybe there's an opportunity to look at improving policy/bylaws
for this type of behaviour in the future. It's not always easy to
anticipate which pieces of the Internet infrastructure will be worth a
billion dollars in the future, but better post-employment and
post-leadership policies might help moderate human behaviour motivated by
money which don't add value to end users. Just a thought.

Cheers!
David