[CPWG] PIR/Ethos

Nat Cohen ncohen at telepathy.com
Tue Jan 21 03:27:26 UTC 2020

Isn't it a self-fulfilling prophecy that if we believe that we don't have
any realistic prospect of stopping the bid, and therefore don't oppose it,
that we will then in effect be facilitating the sale of PIR to Ethos
Capital, whether or not we believe that is the right outcome?

If we believe, as self-appointed stewards of the interests of end-users,
that the sale of PIR to Ethos Capital is not in the interests of end-users,
then shouldn't we voice objection to the sale - whether or not the Board
decides to take our advice?

Our role here is to speak on behalf of one of the most important
stakeholders to this decision.  ICANN purports to have a bottom-up,
multistakeholder model.  The Board should therefore pay attention to our
advice.  If they don't, then that will be a failure of the Board to fulfill
their responsibility, not of us to fulfill ours.

We should provide the best advice possible to the Board that best reflects
the interests of our end-user constituents and the mission of ICANN to
serve the public benefit.  Otherwise, what is our role here?

Nat Cohen