[CPWG] ALAC Advice to the ICANN Board on ISOC/PIR Issue

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 30 11:53:55 UTC 2020

As anticipated in the chat during the call, I believe that there is one point that we might want to highlight.
Under “Observations” I would add something like:

3. .ORG is the only large gTLD that is committed to operate in the public interest
One of the reasons for ICANN to exist was to introduce competition in the DNS marketplace. It did so by splitting the registry and the registrar function, introducing competition at the registrar level, but also by re-delegating .ORG to a non-profit. This has ensured not only to have a champion of good practices, but also to increase competition because .ORG has a different business model, that is not oriented exclusively to maximisation of the profit. Disappearance of this alternative business model will substantially reduce the competition in the marketplace.

I know that this is coming quite late, I am sorry for that.
However, this point might be relevant because it hints that ICANN is not fulfilling its obligation of fostering competition if it allows the disappearance of an alternative business model for a registry.
Cheers,
Roberto