[CPWG] DNS Abuse Education

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Sat Mar 14 17:13:51 UTC 2020

On 14/03/2020 16:18, Jonathan Zuck wrote:
> Folks,
>
> One of the things we mentioned in the DNS Abuse 101 session was putting
> together some resources to help “end users” identify and frustrate DNS
> Abuase. Evin has agreed to host a “micro-site” on DNS Abuse on the
> At-Large site. We probably want to get a domain name for promotional
> purposes, however. Thoughts? Glen has offered to spend some time on the
> content for that site.
>
> I’ve started the process of pulling the educational materials out of the
> DNS 101 presentation and a number of questions came up.
>
>  1. *The term “DNS Abuse” is pretty obscure!*
>     Many of the different types of abuse, phishing, ransomeware, etc.
>     have made it into the public lexicon but the term DNS Abuse has not.
>     Instead you more often see references to Cybercrime or Cyber
>     Attacks, etc. The term DNS Abuse isn’t even an article in
>     Wikipedia…so I started one!
>       (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft%3ADNS_Abuse) Is it worth it
>     to us to promote the term “DNS Abuse” because we /want/ people
>     thinking about this stuff in the ICANN context or should we meet the
>     users where they are and do something like “Tips and Tricks for
>     fending off Cyber Attacks?”

It would need a bit more than that to make it into Wikipedia as an
article, Jonathan,
Basically, it needs citations from Reliable Sources (such as the DNS
abuse study by the Dutch researchers and other reliable sources such as
academic journals). The links in the draft are all to Wikipedia pages
rather than external sources.

Wikipedia isn't a "how-to" site so it would be best to write the article
as an encyclopedia entry with citations and without opinions. The other
aspect that might be brought up is that it is an attempt to coin a
phrase though that stage has long been passed.

There is a lot of DNS related articles and some of them deal with DNS
abuse topics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Domain_name_system

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com