[CPWG] Domain Name Abuse... potentially

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Mar 27 17:27:34 UTC 2020

Non-issue IMO.

It wasn't that long ago that there was a working group that thrashed over
the demands of the IOC that they be given special status to reserve a broad
swath of names, I was on that committee, in which ISOC reps and lawyers
wanted a status equivalent of the Red Cross. I strongly argued against the
equivalency, part of a PoV that prevailed.

The IOC has access to the same takedown remedies as any other brand, and is
welcome to use them. That speculators would try to cash in is a feature of
ICANN policy, and it's too late to turn back that clock, I don't see any
abuse of registrants going on, and abuse of end-users won't occur unless
some of these speculative domains are used for phishing.

If the ISOC cared about its presence beyond bullying half the Greek
restaurants in the world, the path is relatively simple and it doesn't even
need its own TLD. As a body with observer status at the UN, the IOC would
qualify easily under .INT from which it could develop a complete official
domain hierarchy. End users would know (and could be messaged) that the
only legit official olympic domains would be under .INT and that would be
the end of the problem.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56