[CPWG] Domain Name Abuse... potentially

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Mon Mar 30 15:41:55 UTC 2020

On 27/03/2020 19:03, Bill Jouris via CPWG wrote:
> Basically, if you buy a domain name in the hopes of reselling it, that's
> a non-problem.  Definitely not, in itself, abuse.  An irritation, for
> some.  And a potential problem.  But not yet one.

To people who watch domain name trends and registrations, this kind of
thing happens all the time with news events. It is most apparent with
celebrity deaths and there's generally a spike in registrations followed
by many of the domain names being deleted a year later.

There are some malicious registrations and there are industry backed
operations to deal with these. However, most of the registrations will
be monetised with PPC and affiliate advertising.

> However, if you take one of those names, and use it to misrepresent
> yourself (specifically your site) as someone/something you are not, that
> is abuse.  Also fraud.  The question to my mind is, is that problem
> better addressed as DNS abuse?  Or via the existing legal system as
> fraud?  Which, I suppose, depends in part on how well the legal system
> can deal with fraud on an international level in an interconnected world.
Where intellectual property rights have been infringed, there are
mechanisms in place to deal with it. Where laws have been broken, there
are procedures and in place for dealing with the problem. It is
complicated by being multi-jurisdictional.

A lack of knowledge is dangerous. In rushing to categorise all such
registrations as DNS abuse, it would make ALAC look clueless. It would
be better to concentrate on actual DNS abuse
(malware/spam/phishing/hacking etc) rather than trying to group all
commerical activity that does not conform with a purist view as DNS
abuse. The malware/spam/phishing aspect is far more dangerous than the
clickbait registrations and the registrations for resale. Again, the
level of domain names for resale in most TLDs is actually much lower
than that the purists think. Even the 150K domain name survey on the
.ORG earlier this month had the resale/auction percentage at just below 3%.

With technological problems, the first response has to be technological
and the second financial. The decision chain with legal action is often
too long to make any difference and people still get hit by
malware/spam/phishing. This first response is already happening with
various industry groups being formed to deal with the problems. Legal
action might be effective in the long term.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com