[CPWG] Domain Name Abuse... potentially

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 30 19:47:31 UTC 2020

🤣👍

On 30.03.2020, at 21:17, Sebicann Bachollet <sebicann at bachollet.fr<mailto:sebicann at bachollet.fr>> wrote:

What about
.[File:Smiley Olympics.gif - Wikimedia Commons]
All the best
SeB

Sébastien Bachollet
+33 6 07 66 89 33
sebicann at bachollet.fr<mailto:sebicann at bachollet.fr>
@SebBach

EURALO Chair

It’s a bit like war profiteering. It’s disgusting but not really illegal and probably shouldn’t be.  Buying up domains with a likely value isn’t itself DNS Abuse or even DNS “Misuse,” in ANY way. I would argue that these are domains more likely meant for resale than abuse although if the powers that be refuse to pay a premium, they might get used that way. Let’s be VERY careful about how we position ourselves on this lest we lose the modicum of credibility we have gained the past year.  There’s a LOT of actual DNS Abuse taking advantage of this crisis, so let’s focus on that and continue in our efforts to combat systemic abuse, support predictive analytics, etc. This is a very dangerous path. If anything, it suggests that a restricted domain like .OLYMPICS would be a good idea.