[CPWG] Calif. AG mentions ALAC advice in note to ICANN re: PIR

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Mon May 4 22:05:52 UTC 2020

I mostly agree with Greg here - since younger age I have learned never to argue strongly with people with a bigger horn :-).
However, I have a couple of comments.
First of all - and maybe I have to admit that I might be biased - I am puzzled by the approach of putting Ethos, PIR and ISOC in the same basket. Ethos and ISOC had both the interest in the transaction - for reasons that we have discussed at length - and the full power to conduct it, regardless what PIR could or would do. Anybody who has witnessed those change of hands of a subsidiary would understand what I am talking about.
Moreover, unless things in PIR (the company) have dramatically changed since I left less than a year ago, staff was by and large very proud of working for something that they felt as the public good, serving the non profits worldwide, being part of a community, and even happy that the profits were given to ISOC - although the disillusion about ISOC’s behaviour might have changed this bit for them as well.
I am sure that everybody understands that you can quickly change a lot of things in a company, but not its culture - this requires years and thorough work.
Why am I saying this? Simply because the direct responsibility of the management of .org still stays with PIR and this is the part of the whole picture that we, as Internet user community, should concentrate on. And it does not help to mix the roles and responsibilities in this affaire.
A second comment is about the difference between ALAC’s position and the CA-AG. The first thing that strikes me is that while ALAC reaches its position bringing together views of the whole user community worldwide the CA-AG only cares about California - or maybe the US. Is there anybody that can claim in good faith that the CA-AG will consider opinions, positions, needs, and what else, of the population outside the US unless, of course, it could serve the domestic interest? I do not mean to be polemic, I find that this is absolutely the way it is supposed to be, it would be the same for any country, when people take office they have to be loyal and serve the interest of their country. If that matches the rest of the world, so much the better, if it does not, too bad.
On the wider issue, that is whether ICANN is doing its job, whether the multi-stakeholder model works or not, we have discussed this so many times that I am actually tired of repeating the same things time and again - so I would prefer to concentrate on the two points above.
Cheers,
Roberto