[CPWG] Calif. AG mentions ALAC advice in note to ICANN re: PIR

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Tue May 5 15:10:22 UTC 2020

Well, you did NOT misunderstand me Evan so I’ll take on your criticism. The only fear I’m mongering is the fear I feel.  Members of the community who have not gotten their way inside the ICANN processes have, with great frequency, gone to DC to get what they could not from a PDP or whatever.  The fact that a particular part of the community is displeased does not, in and of itself, represent a failure of the organization, nor an advancement of the “public interest.”  AGs are even MORE political than the politicians in DC because they crave the visibility necessary to run for the next office up.  I’ve seen it happen, tine an time again. All I’m saying is that the mere intervention of the AG doesn’t mean ANYTHING, except to identify where decisions are made about ICANN policy.

I too agree with your frustrations about ICANN and the public interest and have fought hard to improve that situation and will continue to do so. That said, NO DECISION HAD BEEN MADE here. We might rightly believe that the board would have made the wrong decision because they have made many wrong decisions but, as a matter of process, I would have preferred to have seen their unvarnished decision first. Yes, I have bathed in the Kool-Aid because I spent two years of my life working on this “poor mutation” of the multi-stakeholder model that is the Accountability Framework. We always envisioned that the AG would be the ultimate point of accountability and backstop for the community but did NOT envision  him intervening  before there was even a decision. ALL I’m saying is that even if the organization had a perfect reputation for upholding the public interest, the AG could easily have been convinced otherwise, prodded to weigh in and sent a letter written by a lobbyist. That’s all that happened. It wasn’t some careful study of ICANN’s history that led the AG to act. You give him FAR too much credit, that’s all.

I TOO am excited about the roll that the At-Large can play in reforming the organization and, as you know, I am in the trenches to make that happen. Even so, the At-Large community itself was not unified on the idea of blocking the sale but, instead, resolved to condition the sale. So, even here, our language was used to justify an outcome that even we were not sure we wanted.

I’m sorry if my language was dismissive. It was not meant to be and I appreciated nearly everything you said about the public interest and our need to be its proponent. The only notion  on which we disagree is whether the mere fact of the AGs intervention was, in and of itself, meaningful and what that meaning might be.  On THAT point, we continue to disagree but time will tell. In the meantime, we continue to fight the good fight.
Jonathan