[CPWG] GAC Statement on the EPDP Addendum

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Thu May 7 22:40:43 UTC 2020

On 06/05/2020 21:37, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> thanks for your kind response. Let me opine on each your sentences in turn:
>
> On 06/05/2020 19:58, John McCormac wrote:
>> GAC, from this statement, assumes that all people will act in a
>> uniform and law-abiding manner.
>
> I am not sure I catch this assumption. Let's see:

GAC's statement is more a theoretical approach to a practical problem,
Olivier,

>> There are multiple jurisdictions involved.
>
> Yes absolutely - and some democratic and some non democratic countries too.

And it gets more complex in that there are gTLDs, over which ICANN has
some control, and ccTLDs over which ICANN has no real control.

>> There are people who, with good reason, wish to obscure their details
>> from hostile governments and other bad actors.
>
> And for this there are a multitude of anonymisation services available,
> aren't there?
>
>> There are people who are registering domain names for criminal purposes.
>
> And this needs to be addressed now.

It should be.

>> There are registrars who knowingly facilitate iffy activity.
>
> What is the community doing about shutting these down?

It generally seems to talk about it on discussion lists but getting
ICANN to take action takes time. The time lag involved works in favour
of the bad actors. How long is it, typically, from ICANN breach notice
to termination?

>> The problem isn't the domain name industry living in a bubble. It is
>> the GAC assumption that the real world is perfect that is the problem.
>
> Quite the contrary, my opinion is that if the world was indeed a perfect
> world, we would probably not even need any kind of registration
> directory service. But the world is not perfect and trust rests, at
> least partly, on identity.

Being rather cynical, it would appear that the GAC's ideal solution
would be to know the identity of every registrant. The domain industry
is, as far as gTLDs and ccTLDs are concerned, a distributed network
where the only constant is that domain names are paid for with a valid
payment method. That's quite different from what GAC seems to want. It
comes down to what's doable and what's not.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com