[CPWG] Calif. AG mentions ALAC advice in note to ICANN re: PIR

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri May 8 12:58:09 UTC 2020

Hello all,

as the other co-Chair of the CPWG I need to say that I agree with all
the points that Jonathan is making. I should just add that whilst a
significant number of ISOC Chapters are indeed ALSes, it is worth noting
that a majority of Chapters did not approve of the sale, as evidenced by
the results of the vote of the ISOC Chapter Advisory Council.

 1. Advice 2020.04.17-01 :: Second Advice on PIR Sales to Ethos Capital
    <https://isoc.box.com/s/w2iaod4kb738thlm1a0ollli00saze8q>
      * *Advice*: /"We reiterate that the sale of PIR to Ethos Capital
        should not proceed until, unless proscribed by law, the
        following conditions are met, and the ISOC Board has taken into
        account the comments received after the information requested
        below is made public"/
      * Text link: (isoc.box.com/s/w2iaod4kb738thlm1a0ollli00saze8q)
        <https://isoc.box.com/s/w2iaod4kb738thlm1a0ollli00saze8q)>
      * Approved by 68% of the 73 chapters that participated

Maintaining that At-Large is influenced by lobbyists is frivolous to say
the least and borders on the preposterous.

Kindest regards,

Olivier
(own point of view)

On 08/05/2020 11:16, Jonathan Zuck wrote:

> The fact is there was no real consensus among the At-Large about the
> acquisition of PIR. There were essentially 4 proposals on the table:
>

>  1. Approve the sale
>  2. Approve the sale with conditions (which is what both the ALAC and
>     NCSG settled upon)
>  3. Deny the sale (essentially what happened)
>  4. Take .ORG away from PIR and move it to a new entity
>

> There WAS a strong consensus, led primarily by Roberto Gaetano, NOT to
> let the sale go through without concessions so the group was motivated
> to identify the appropriate concessions and perhaps bake them into the
> .ORG contract so they would. Survive changes of ownership.
>

> If we took the time to GREP (or more likely Amazon Comprehend) the
> listserv archives they would reveal fewer than 5 people (nearly if not
> ALL new to the list), a few more expressing a preference for option 3
> and the huge majority (though still not a LOT of people total)
> supporting everything Roberto  proposed.
>

> Now we can argue that many in the At-Large had a relationship to ISOC
> which may have convoluted this discussion but there were also serious
> issues with the public comments that arrived in volume and form the
> primary indication of “public” dissatisfaction with the deal.
>

> We also need to set aside the fact that while many in the At-Large
> work for non-profits, we are not the voice of non-profits at ICANN.
> The NPOC are and they, together with the rest of the NCSG, chose a
> similar direction to the ALAC. There were, of course, dissenters in
> the NCSG as well, such as Kathy Kleinman, who believed that PICs were
> inherently evil and a product of a top down decision making process
> under Fadi.
>

> I say this all to say that I’m not sure WHAT would have made a better
> consensus “process” as David has been discussing. The only body with
> actual decision making ability is the ALAC and all the rest are just
> advising the ALAC and they certainly received no clear recommendation
> to oppose the sale from the CPWG or the At-Large generally.
>

> Now Evan, you might think that means they are not “fit for “purpose”
> because of your belief in what represented the public interest but I
> find it difficult to believe that the At-Large is somehow corrupt and
> purposefully subverted that public interest.  I’m sure there might
> have been some bias towards ISOC (as well as some disappointment in
> them), some measure of defeatism believing they should take what they
> could get and some measure of belief that a for profit registry might
> NOT, in fact, be the end of the world.
>

> David, I know that you asked me about how to better take the
> temperature of the listserv, since we really only took the temperature
> of an 80 person CPWG call. I remain flummoxed about how best to do
> that given the openness of the CPWG and At-Large lists. You don’t need
> to even be a member of the At-Large to be on the CPWG list,  for
> [...]

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html