[CPWG] Calif. AG mentions ALAC advice in note to ICANN re: PIR

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun May 10 17:56:10 UTC 2020

Dear Greg,

thank you for taking the time to spell this out. I should add that the
California Attorney General makes a direct reference to the ALAC's
Advice as well as the ISOC Chapter Advisory Council letter, the letter
signed by 824 non-profits etc.
So how could the California Attorney General refer to the ALAC's advice
that's allegedly "against the overwhelming opinion of the public"?

Many long time observers of ALAC advice will see that it often is more
mitigated than correspondence from other more focussed communities that
act in unison. That is a direct consequence of the variety we have in
our communities, both geographical and cultural - and I like to see it
this way. Democracies encourage all kinds of views and elections are
usually pretty balanced. Only in totalitarian regimes are policies
supported with a 99% support. At times in the past, I have thought that
a piece of ALAC Advice would get support from 99% of our members - and
guess what, there were more dissenting voices than I had expected, and
sometimes the dissent I heard reminded me that many of the topics we
have to grapple with are not straight yes/no, true/false, good/bad,
binary problems with binary solutions. I am glad this community is
mature enough to avoid falling into crowd lynching.

Kindest regards,

Olivier

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html