[CPWG] ICANN orgs responds to digital Services Act initiative Public Consultation launched by European Commission

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Tue Sep 15 15:38:57 UTC 2020

On 15/09/2020 13:55, Hadia Abdelsalam Mokhtar EL miniawi wrote:
> This could be of interest to some..
>
> ICANN orgs responds to digital Services Act initiative Public
> Consultation launched by European Commission. ICANN's responses to
> questions 11,12,13 and 14  in relation to the use of WHOIS information,
> its purpose and usefulness highlights the importance of the registration
> data.
>
> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2020-09-10-en

This is a welcome, good and balanced response by ICANN to the WHOIS
damage caused by GDPR.

I've been working on a project to measure registrars and reseller
activity in gTLDs and ccTLDs and the relevant statistics on the
registrar/reseller markets. Legal persons being excluded from WHOIS data
on the same basis as natural persons was a big mistake. It has also
introduced a level of instability to the DNS that can be difficult to
remedy. It was good to see ICANN explain it in simple terms for these
people.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com