[CPWG] ICANN orgs responds to digital Services Act initiative Public Consultation launched by European Commission

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Sep 18 16:22:36 UTC 2020

Thanks for your follow-up Michele.

So purely under contractual arrangements, in your case the Registrar
Accreditation Agreement, which I guess is the one found at
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/approved-with-specs-2013-09-17-en
the agreement mentions California enough times to be fair to assume that
it follows the law of California - especially since dispute resolution
in section 5.8 mentions the rules of the International Arbitration Rules
of the American Arbitration Association ("AAA").

So of course ICANN cannot ask you to do something which is contrary to
Irish Law, but we've seen that it has in the past, for example the
Registrar Data Retention Program? You and I know that ICANN has a
process for requesting a Waiver of Data Retention, outlined on
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/retention-2013-09-13-en
But ultimately, isn't ICANN the final decider of whether it gives you
that waiver or not, according to its rules outlined in
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/waiver-request-process-2013-09-13-en?
They are not required to do so by US law, are they?

Kindest regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD