[CPWG] Reminder: ACTION/CPWG by Today 23:59 UTC: Comment on Metrics

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Fri Sep 25 16:07:47 UTC 2020

That's not true.

Does it happen?
Yes, but so do a lot of things.

If you honestly think that DropCatch.com could rationalise maintaining the number of creds they have, as well as all the other costs to sell names that way then either I've missed a trick or something else isn't going right

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

On 25/09/2020, 16:26, "CPWG on behalf of Lutz Donnerhacke" <cpwg-bounces at icann.org on behalf of lutz at donnerhacke.de> wrote:

    From John McCormac:
    > Gesendet: Freitag, 25. September 2020 15:43
    > On 25/09/2020 14:11, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond wrote:
    > > Could you please explain this? They register deleted domain names - for
    > > themselves? - and are *not* retail registrars? I thought the function of
    > > a registrar is to sell to domain name registrants either directly or
    > > through agents?
    >
    > Deleting domain names have some value, Olivier,
    > Some of that value is in their search engine backlink profile and then
    > there's the value of the domain name for resale purposes.
    >
    > The drop catchers/auction sites take pre-orders on domain names and then
    > they try to register these deleting domain names. The domain names will
    > then either go to the person who placed the order or to auction if there
    > are multiple back orders or the domain name is considered to be of high
    > value.

    The main purpose of registering deleted domain names is to resell them to a previous owners, which missed the renewal dates of the registry. Recovering a accidentally lost domain name is paid very well by those who want to stay in business.

    Just saying.