[CPWG] Reminder: ACTION/CPWG by Today 23:59 UTC: Comment on Metrics

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Sep 26 07:26:09 UTC 2020

On 25/09/2020 18:40, John McCormac wrote:
> A whole industry has developed around reselling previously deleted
> domain names and many of these drop caught domain names have sold for
> high prices. A domain name that might cost about $10 to register could
> resell for $10,000 or more.

Not a great thing for an end user registrant to beef-up prices like
this. Some would say that this whole "industry" has a taste of "ticket
tout/scalper". But I guess that's what happens in an unregulated market
where the scarcity of names made it a seller's market. But now with the
new gTLDs and the vast variety of choice in other TLDs, are we likely to
see an end to this phenomenon?
Kindest regards,

Olivier