[CPWG] FW: Engagement on DNS Abuse

Theo Geurts atlarge at dcx.nl
Wed Feb 3 17:08:14 UTC 2021

Good email John, covers a lot.

While price is a factor, lets not forget that threat actors like Emotet were responsible for 36-40% of all malware distribution for many years.
This crime as a service operator was doing pretty well into hacking Wordpress installations of legitimate domain name owners with a Wordpress installation.

The CPH DNS Abuse framework is pragmatic in the sense that it covers what CPH's can do on their technical level.
However, the reality is a lot of cybercrime cannot be addressed on the CPH technical level.

We currently ingest 72 blocklists and cyber intelligence feeds and our current reality is that 2% is pure domain name abuse, 6% is on a hostname level and 92% is URL/Content abuse. Our data goes till 2014.

URL/content abuse is very problematic to address (often impossible) as a registrar and as many of you heard the reasons for many years I am not going to repeat them.
But as a community we need to be very sensible and not conflate all kinds of abuse and indeed get a good understanding what is DNS Abuse and what can actually be done within the ICANN remit and be realistic of the technical reality what CPH's can do.
If we want to remain relevant on this topic we need to push ahead and come up with solutions that address the issues we actually can address.

Best,
Theo