[CPWG] Engagement on DNS Abuse

David Mackey mackey361 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 18:09:01 UTC 2021

Laurin,

It's my understanding the ICANN by-laws give voting power to the ALAC in a
way that balances the interests of different stakeholders as
originally intended when ICANN was created.

If the ALAC is currently structured in a way that it cannot fulfill its
by-law duties, because the DNS Abuse issue "might not be best addressed by
a small body of volunteers", I'd like to suggest that maybe the entire
ICANN organization has a problem meeting its mission as stated in our
bylaws. It may be wise to address any perceived capability problems with
ALAC directly, rather than bypassing ICANN's bylaws for the sake of
expediency.

However, I do agree it's best to look for consensus within the current
context, since the question about the capability of "a small body of
volunteers" won't be solved quickly.

Cheers!
David