[CPWG] Call for Comments by Monday, 5 July: ALAC Statement on Initial Report of the Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP)

mail@christopherwilkinson.eu CW mail at christopherwilkinson.eu
Mon Jul 5 11:55:14 UTC 2021

Good afternoon.

Thankyou, Noted, However, at such short notice, I am not able to comment in the format required by the document. I have every confidence that the ALAC participants in the EPDPs are doing their very best to make the best of a very difficult job.

Notwithstanding, my considered position in this matter is to abstain.

While I recognise that ALAC's participation in EPDP to date has been inspired by patient wisdom, seeking pragmatic compromise, I consider that commenting on the EPDP report at this time is no longer where we should be at.

I have participated in aspects of ICANN's privacy policy in several capacities, for the past twenty years and have regrettably come to the conclusion that ICANN's Multi-stakeholder Model has – in this respect - failed.

I see no merit any longer in sending back comments which are tweaks to questions that will without doubt be rejected by the EPDP and GNSO. Worse, I have observed over the years that a number of the contracted parties are simply 'playing the clock' (to adopt an expression from football) and have no intention of allowing ICANN to adopt a GDPR-compliant policy.

The MSM adopted by the empowered community in the context of the Transition was not done to permit permanent procrastination of policy issues for the commercial interest of a 'consensus' within the GNSO. Enough is enough.

I think that the ICANN Board should close down the EPDP and simply refer the matter back to ICANN Legal to resolve on the basis of their, by now, no doubt detailed knowledge of privacy policies and legislation world-wide, including GDPR.

As things stand in this and other PDPs, ICANN's version of the MSM will bring the Multi-Stakeholder Model, into disrepute internationally.

Regards

CW

Begin forwarded message: