[CPWG] ALAC Advice

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 19:03:46 UTC 2021

+1 Jonathan

We need to  establish our own approach to consensus building within
At-Large that takes account of more voices of endusers, as Evin suggests.
Maybe we have not been effective in our attempts to truly get the views of
end-users.

As we are attempting within our ccTLD models session @ICANN71, we need to
get Internet user views about systems and processes that they are
experiencing but with perhaps no understanding about why these processes
and policies exist - for example,  people who can't understand why they are
being impacted and experiencing strange things happening to them on the
internet - those who have never heard about "DNS Abuse" but are certainly
experiencing it.

The Boards mandate for At-Large is to get ICANN's messages out to our
communities so our first focus is on getting our ALSes and individual
members "engaged with the ICANN process" and its policies.  Surely our
"legitimacy" to contribute to the discussions that we have with other
sections of the ICANN community needs to come from those who have NOT been
instructed to consider ICANN expectations first and foremost. Maybe we need
to be canvassing the views of people BEFORE they enter ICANN and then
asking them after a period of time about what they found helpful about
actually being part of the ICANN process.

This is where I think our research needs to be directed - getting the views
of endusers who dont yet know about ICANN and can give us feedback that
would be more relevant for us to focus on.

An early morning reflection on a great discussion topic. Thank you Roberto.
Maureen