[CPWG] DNS Abuse and Content Abuse Issues

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon May 3 16:37:38 UTC 2021

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 at 02:59, John McCormac via CPWG <cpwg at icann.org> wrote:

Hi John,

The problem, in terms of phishing, is probably worse in the new gTLDs
> were low registration fees make this kind of activity more economically
> feasible. There was a survey (SIDN related) cited in the CCT report that
> mentioned that a lot of problematic content shifted from the legacy
> gTLDs to the new gTLDs.

It appears to me that this issue can probably be traced back to a fairly
small number of new gTLDs whose business models stress high volume and
domain prices low enough to be disposable. It strikes me that many of the
new gTLDs are not cheaper than the legacy ones and are making at least a
superficial stab at identity and taxonomy.

Is there benefit in your research in isolating the disposable-domain TLDs
from the others? Or do all of them -- even the ones who are promoting
themselves based on identity -- have this problem?

Thank you again for bringing research-based focus to ALAC's work.

- Evan