[CPWG] REMINDER | Meeting invitation: At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) Call on Wednesday, 06 October 2021 at 13:00 UTC

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Tue Oct 5 13:19:27 UTC 2021

On 05/10/2021 13:20, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond via CPWG wrote:
> Dear Christopher,
>
> what is ICANN to do? Is it in its mission to be the "Defender of the
> DNS"? I wonder...
> Perhaps ISOC could write something but from memory I can't recall ICANN
> making such a statement when such incidents happened in the past.
> Or perhaps it did? We could ask OCTO what's his point of view on this.
> Kindest regards,
>
> Olivier
>
> On 05/10/2021 00:39, lists--- via CPWG wrote:
>> Good evening:
>>
>> Thankyou. Noted.
>>
>> Please add to the agenda (first point):
>>
>> "The DNS and Social Media - what lessons to be learnt from the current
>> situation?"
>>
>> By way of explanation, this request is as much about perception and PR
>> as about the eventaul facts-.
>> Local Global Media (e.g. BBC) are attributing the collapse of
>> Facebook, Whatsap and Instagram to issues with the Domain Nam System,.
>> Affecting "billions" of users.
>>
>> If so, that requires an official response from ICANN, now.
>>
>> CW

It isn't really an ICANN issue. The "technology" journalists seem to
have confused what happened with FB with being simply a DNS issue. The
DNS aspect was only a small part of the problem.

Facebook effectively knocked itself off the Internet around 15:40 UTC on
04 October. Facebook basically withdrew its routes to the Internet and
all services on the IP addresses became unreachable. Its DNS,
mailservers and webservers were affected.

Think of it like all roads to and from a capital city effectively
disappearing within a few minutes. Both the city and its environs still
exist but they are no longer connected by roads.

This is a good explanation of the effects:
https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-2021-facebook-outage/

Apart from FB screwing up like this, I don't think that ICANN can do
much for the Dunning Kruger effect of "technology" journalists without a
background in or understanding of Technology waffling about it. Perhaps
ICANN can circulate yet another very simple explanation of how the
Internet works and the role that DNS plays? It won't stop outages like
this happening in the future and it won't stop "technology" journalists
playing at being clueful.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com