[CPWG] The Bulk Registrations issue and why it is complex

Amrita CCAOI amritachoudhury at ccaoi.in
Wed Apr 6 07:21:14 UTC 2022

Yes Theo, NIXI revoked the restrictions. This is the link to the new kyc process NIXI has adopted: https://www.registry.in/registry/images/page/e_KYC.pdf

Regards,

Amrita

From: CPWG <cpwg-bounces at icann.org> On Behalf Of Theo Geurts via CPWG
Sent: 05 April 2022 19:01
To: gopal at annauniv.edu; Bill Jouris via CPWG <cpwg at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [CPWG] The Bulk Registrations issue and why it is complex

As far as my current intel on this goes is that NIXI replaced this with another requirement a few weeks ago.

Theo

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022, at 1:20 PM, gopal at annauniv.edu <mailto:gopal at annauniv.edu>  wrote:

Dear All,

The National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) placed restrictions on

bulk registering

of .in domains due to “national security” reasons.

NIXI is the government-appointed authority responsible for managing .in

domains.

Explicit approval from NIXI for:

Individual registrants looking to register more than two domains

Registered accredited company looking to register more than a hundred

domains

It opens a debate on the other end of the spectrum i.e "Red Tape".

Your thoughts...

Sincerely,

Gopal T V

0 9840121302

https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/57545

https://www.facebook.com/gopal.tadepalli

Dr. T V Gopal

Professor

College of Engineering

Anna University

Chennai - 600 025, INDIA

Ph : (Off) 22351723 Extn. 3340

       (Res) 24454753

On 2022-04-05 18:40, Theo Geurts via CPWG wrote:

> Let's say bulk means 50 registrations before alarms start to sound.

> Then the criminals will simply start pulling data from fake ID

> generator APIs and connect those to the registrar/reseller APIs and

> generate new unique RNH data/contacts.  If that sounds out of the

> realm of possibilities, consider I have already seen criminals doing

> this to avoid detection in 2018. Every BEC fraud domain had a unique

> registrant and they had registered 200 domains total. Their OPSEC was

> pretty good on the registrant side of things, on the technical

> infrastructure side, it was an absolute mess and very easy to track

> down and shut down such domain names.

> Best,

> Theo

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2022, at 12:40 PM, John McCormac via CPWG wrote:

>> On 05/04/2022 12:25, Michele Neylon - Blacknight wrote:

>>> John

>>> But what is your definition of “bulk”?

>> It is a very tricky question, Michele,

>> I don't have an exact definition yet.

>> There can be a lot of activity going on with a gTLD that might

>> appear to

>> be bulk registrations but without WHOIS data to measure the

>> concentration of registrations, a spike due to a registry or

>> registrar

>> promotion might be considered "bulk". The concentration (new domain

>> names to registrants) might help.

>>> How many domains registered at once constitute “bulk”?

>>> 10?

>> I've definitely registered this many at a time across TLDs for brand

>> protection purposes.

>>> 100?

>>> 1000?

>>> Over what period of time?

>>> Minutes?

>>> Hours?

>>> Days?

>> It would have to be over a few months at least. Otherwise celebrity

>> and

>> event driven registrations and speculative bubbles will get lumped

>> into

>> the set.

>>> Can the “definition” be applied to all TLDs?

>> Not unless there is a data element. It would be better to approach

>> it on

>> a TLD-specific basis that takes the performance of the TLD into

>> account.

>> Some TLDs may not have bulk registration issues.

>>> I’d argue that there’s a massive difference between say 100

>> domains

>>> being registered in .bank vs in .store (as a silly example)

>> Agreed. Heavy discounting is now an established feature of many

>> gTLDs.

>> The problem is that the absence of WHOIS data and registration

>> patterns

>> makes it a lot more difficult to identify abusive registrations.

>> Without

>> heavy discounting, some new gTLDs would have to spend a lot more

>> money

>> on marketing their gTLD in a highly competitive market and would end

>> up

>> with far fewer registrations than they have now.

>> There was a recommendation in the CCT report that ICANN track

>> pricing

>> data. If ICANN had this kind of data to hand then it would be very

>> helpful in defining bulk registrations and identifying trends that

>> are

>> direct results of heavy discounting. It still gets back to the

>> problem

>> of identifying what registrations are registered for malicious

>> purposes

>> and that's getting into Precog/Minority Report territory where the

>> software and technology is just not good enough to guess the intent

>> of

>> all registrants.

>> Regards...jmcc

>>> Regards