[CPWG] [Ext] Protection of Geographical Indications – European ccTLDs.

Chantelle Doerksen chantelle.doerksen at icann.org
Thu Jul 21 17:26:45 UTC 2022

Dear Christopher,

We will reach out to our colleagues within ICANN org to see if more information can be determined.

Best,

Chantelle

From: "lists at christopherwilkinson.eu" <lists at christopherwilkinson.eu>
Date: Monday, July 18, 2022 at 6:26 AM
To: CPWG <cpwg at icann.org>
Cc: ICANN At-Large Staff <staff at atlarge.icann.org>
Subject: [Ext] Protection of Geographical Indications – European ccTLDs.

Good evening :

Colleagues may recall that I have argued in Sub-Pro and elsewhere that geographical indications must be protected in the DNS in the same way as are trade-marks.

https://domainnamewire.com/2022/07/13/eu-weighs-new-rules-for-geographic-terms-registered-in-country-code-domains/ [domainnamewire.com]

Recent reports (thankyou, Domain Name Wire) relate to the proposed EU Regulation for the protection of GIs for Industrial and Craft products including in the DNS (Article 41).

The scope of the Regulation is the ccTLD Registries within EU jurisdiction. It goes into these matters in considerable detail (pp. 71).

The Executive agency responsible for implementation is the EU Intellectual Property Office (previously known as OHIM, Alicante.)

https://euipo.europa.eu/ohimportal/en/home [euipo.europa.eu]

I would request that the protection of Geographical Indications be put back on the agenda of SubPro and CPWG.

I would also be interested to know whether ICANN.org [icann.org], CCNSO and CENTR participated in preparatory consultations relating to this EU Regulation. Could At Large Staff please investigate and rerport on the background to this proposal.

Regards

CW