[CPWG] Today's call and the ccTLD/gTLD trends/Following ccTLDs on DNS Abuse

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Wed May 4 14:25:52 UTC 2022

On 04/05/2022 15:04, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond wrote:

> On 04/05/2022 11:36, John McCormac wrote:
>> On 03/05/2022 00:16, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond wrote:
>>>
>>> I was under the impression that an independent organisation like the
>>> Internet & Jurisdiction Policy Network were going to undertake such
>>> study. I must admit I haven't followed this so closely - perhaps
>>> someone can enlighten us on this?
>>
>> Seriously though, Christopher's idea of a statistics/economics
>> department for ICANN is a good one as it might have prevented them
>> making what can only be described as Astrological or Numerological
>> "predictions" about the 2012 round.
>
> The suggestion was made prior to the 2012 round when an economic impact
> analysis was asked by the Board. This was punted to an external
> consultancy and many other similar requests ever since. In parallel, on
> the topic of SSR, the DAAR project was born within OCTO (
> https://www.icann.org/octo-ssr/daar ) and also the IHTI (
> https://ithi.research.icann.org/ )  so ICANN does have some in-house
> resources that are capable of compiling statistics but if a wider
> statistics/economics department hasn't been created in over 10 years,
> think what is the actual hurdle to it?

There's one hurdle, Olivier,
Real knowledge of the domain name industry is expensive.

The OpenData project was a good start for metrics but that kind of work
needs ongoing maintenance and monitoring. That's where the real costs
kick in.

Regards...jmcc

John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com