[CPWG] Suggested reading: "Hegemonic practices in multistakeholder Internet governance: Participatory evangelism, quiet politics, and glorification of status quo at ICANN meetings"

jkuleszaicann at gmail.com jkuleszaicann at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 09:17:22 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Thought this might be a useful reference for our MSM discussions:

“Hegemonic practices in multistakeholder Internet governance: Participatory evangelism, quiet politics, and glorification of status quo at ICANN meetings” https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01972243.2023.2194295

The authors found that: “three primary rhetorical devices – participatory evangelism, quiet politics, and glorification of the status quo – were present, which reinforce the entrenched power structure that favors some stakeholders and interfere with other stakeholders’ efforts to influence Internet governance decisions.”

Particularly interesting when compared with the commissioned ICANN study on its legitimacy and accountability, summarized by the authors e.g. here:

https://scholarlypublications.universiteitleiden.nl/handle/1887/3204233

and here https://scholarlypublications.universiteitleiden.nl/handle/1887/3446984

We might wish to use these when attempting to ensure more diversity, stronger end user representation, multilingualism and UA, optionally also in SubPro and PICs debates, given the paper’s focus on GNSO and PDPs challenges.

Just a thought, with all best wishes,

Joanna