[CPWG] Suggested reading: "Hegemonic practices in multistakeholder Internet governance: Participatory evangelism, quiet politics, and glorification of status quo at ICANN meetings"

David Mackey mackey361 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 17:16:42 UTC 2023

Hi Evan,

I think you are using the link to the ICANN commissioned study with the
link ...
https://scholarlypublications.universiteitleiden.nl/handle/1887/3204233 for
your references.

I was referring to the Research Article titled "Hegemonic practices in
multistakeholder Internet governance: Participatory evangelism, quiet
politics, and glorification of status quo at ICANN meetings" found with the
link ... https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01972243.2023.2194295

In addition to not including At-Large, the Research Article actually makes
the following claim under the "Research Questions" section ... "The
Noncommercial Stakeholder Group function to promote the interests of users
and the public. It is the weaker, less-resourced, and marginalized
stakeholder group (Calandro and Zingales Citation2013
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01972243.2023.2194295#>; Gross
 Citation2011
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01972243.2023.2194295#>;
Mueller Citation2009
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01972243.2023.2194295#>)."

The Research Article may be conflating At-Large with NCSG (GNSO), but it
doesn't take away from the higher level observations in my mind.

... and yes, I agree with your point about At-Large's path to legitimacy.