[CPWG] Suggested reading: "Hegemonic practices in multistakeholder Internet governance: Participatory evangelism, quiet politics, and glorification of status quo at ICANN meetings"

Hadia El Miniawi hadiaminiawi at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 22:29:21 UTC 2023

 Dear Joanna,
Thank you for sharing this interesting read. I briefly tried to look at the study from an At-Large perspective and how we could use some of the learnings to benefit the work that we do. But first let me share some notes and observations from the study which could be of interest to At-Large:

   - The study looked into which stakeholder groups have a high influence in shaping the language tone of GNSO meetings, the transcripts analyzed were of the nine GNSO stakeholders, thus the study in that regard is basically an analysis of the language influence and power within the GNSO and not at ICANN in general
   - ICANN was seen as focusing on technical efficiencies and customer satisfaction, failing to address political and public policy implications
   - The length of ICANN multi-stakeholder policy development could hinder effective participation of some stakeholders, most probably those who are lesser resourced.
   - The lack of capacity of lesser resourced stakeholders to understand the complexity of " technically opaque policy fields" can lead to asymmetric power that threatens equal participation.
   - The importance of an effective accountability mechanism
   - The Hegemonic discourse analysis focused on GNSO meetings and the role played by language, however the conclusion extends the findings to the entire ICANN multi-stakeholder practice. Extending the findings to the entire ICANN multi-stakeholder practice requires considering stakeholder groups other than the GNSO and other processes and technical considerations.
   - The quite politics part generally speaking applies to all multi-stakeholder practices, thus it is neither limited specifically to the GNSO nor generally to ICANN
   - The participatory evangelism part is quite interesting because it speaks to the difference between participation and influence over the decision.
As an At-large community I see a role for us in
   - Addressing the Quite Politics Part:                                                                                                                                                          Continue to develop skill development programs that help stakeholders with lesser resources understand the policy issues, this would help address the issue of more dominant and skilled groups being in control.
   - Addressing Participants Evangelism Part:                                                                                                                                          Promoting and ensuring effective accountability mechanisms are in place, which would ensure both participation and influence over decision.
   - Promote and encourage research within the At-large community in order to know more about At-large participation and how we could improve it.
Kind regardsHadia