[CPWG] Closed Generics - Status update

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 9 16:32:56 UTC 2023

The Closed Generics Facilitated Dialogue referred two questions to the Chairs of the GNSO, GAC and ALAC:

(1) Based on the fundamental issues identified [by this group], is it possible for this policy topic to reach a final framework document?
(2) If so, is the Facilitated Dialogue group the most appropriate place to do that work, understanding that such work will likely extend the efforts of this group beyond the next two months?

The Chairs met and replied with the attached letter making several recommendations:

- we believe that it is not necessary to resolve the question of closed generic gTLDs as a dependency for the next round of new gTLDs, and we plan to inform the ICANN Board accordingly.

- we also plan to ask that, for the next round, the Board maintain the position that, unless and until there is a community-developed consensus policy in place, any applications seeking to impose exclusive registry access for "generic strings" to a single person or entity and/or that person's or entity's Affiliates (as defined in Section 2.9(c) of the Registry Agreement) should not proceed.

- any future community policy work on this topic should be based on the good work that has been done to date in this facilitated dialogue.

Discussions are ongoing as to the form that the final output of the group will take.

If the Board accepts the recommendation of the three chairs, there will be no closed generic TLDs in coming rounds unless and until the subject is reopened.

Greg and Alan